Building a more livable Miami by making our streets safer for all users
Safe Streets Miami is a campaign to build respect and consideration for all users of Miami’s streets and roads — whether you drive, walk, or bicycle, whether you are a child or a working mom or retired. Your tax-deductible donation will help to support a variety of campaign activities.
- We’ll seek to educate the public about our mutual responsibility for each other’s safety.
- We’ll press for heightened law-enforcement attention to drunk drivers and traffic scofflaws.
- Neighborhood events like our forum on March 7 will continue to invite public participation in the conversation about how to make our streets safer for everyone.
- You can shape the campaign by reaching out with your ideas. We want to hear from you!
Bicycle-pedestrian bridges help to promote safer routes for all users
Read about two new projects
in Miami-Dade County that are making a difference. Our SafeStreetsMiami volunteers have been involved since the beginning of each.
We invite parents, teachers, school administrators, and neighborhood leaders to work with us to enable children to get to school by bicycling, walking, and othernonmotorized means safely and conveniently.
Green Mobility Network has been awarded a grant for its Safe Routes to School project by the Miami Foundation. The grant period begins July 1, 2012 and continues for one year. We’re looking for teachers, administrators, coaches, parents, and neighbors who want to work with us and learn together how to create safer streets and neighborhoods where kids can walk and bike to school without danger. Please click on “Contact” and send us a message if you have ideas, suggestions, or information about people we should get in touch with. To send the message, please select the “Safe Routes to School” drop-down menu in the “category” box.
Oct. 9, 2013
Get ready for Walk to School Day . Check out this easy-to-use planning guide for a 7-day WTSD event.
The Map-a-Route website can help you plan safe routes to school for walking and biking.
A key element of our work throughout Miami-Dade County is to raise awareness about the issues relevant to our mission and goals. We do this through a variety of activities that include:
- Educational materials and information about Green Mobility Network, our accomplishments, and our continuing work.
- Monitoring of city and county commissions and advisory bodies that make decisions about the safety of our streets and the livability of our communities.
- Regular news and information updates through our website, our social networks, and our e-newsletter.
- Information and awareness-raising activities through our SafeStreetsMiami campaign.
- Outreach to parents and educators through our Safe Routes to School project.
Part of our mission is to transform the culture of Great Miami so bicyclists, pedestrians, runners, and others who cannot afford or choose not to drive will have an experience of greater safety and respect on our streets. We accept that this is a big challenge. With the help of our members, supporters, and donors, we’re ready to take it on.