We’re sending these out today to the 11 candidates for Miami-Dade mayor in the May 24 special election. Responses will be posted as soon as they’re received. We encourage our members and friends to pose these and similar questions to as many of the candidates as possible. At the very least, we may help educate our future mayor.
- How do you usually travel downtown? To the airport?
- What does the term “complete streets” mean to you?
- How can Miami-Dade County best enhance facilities for walking and bicycling? Two or three suggestions will suffice for now.
- How can the county help the public, including businesses, get more use out of Miami-Dade Transit — the buses, Metrorial, and Metromover?
- What is most needed to improve service on our transit system?
- Are you for or against the proposed conversion of the South Dade Busway into a toll highway? Please explain.
- Will you support local financing of facilities for bicycling and walking whether or not federal funding continues to be available?
- Do you embrace the policy articulated last spring by U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood: “Every transportation agency, including DOT, has the responsibility to improve conditions and opportunities for walking and bicycling and to integrate walking and bicycling into their transportation systems.” Please explain.